Home
It's where Bluffton gets its news!
July 13, 2020

You are here

91 football season ago

In 1928 Bluffton High School was not yet called the Pirates.

Here's where they played football  – it's Harmon Field but the stadium and scoreboard aren't yet constructed. The sign by the gate reads: Do Not Drive – Park On Out Side.

Some viewers are old enough to recall the gates. They remained in place until, perhaps the 1980s.

On the schedule in 1928, Bluffton faced Lima Central, Forest, Carey, Tiffin Jr., Oakwood, Shawnee, Leipsic, Ada, Toledo Waite and Columbus Grove.

The location was called "Harmon Field," and teams started playing there in the 1924 season. Prior to that football was played at Schmidt's Field, which is today's location of Community Market.

Harmon Field stadium was constructed in 1936. Lights were installed in 1937 and Bluffton's first game under the lights was versus neighboring Ada.

Additional info:

  • For another view of Harmon Field, taken in the 1940s, click here