You are here

Historical Bluffton

When Beavers battled with cattle

By Fred Steiner
www.BlufftonForever.com

Many viewers are familiar with the large open area on the Bluffton University campus below the library. It’s where disc golf games take place today.

Some viewers may not be aware that the field was originally the official Bluffton Beavers’ baseball diamond. 

We’ve discovered a story from the March 30, 1950, Bluffton News, written by Harriett Burkhart. Today she is Harriet Moyer, resident of Maple Crest. 

What became of "the most remarkable of all mounds in Ohio?"

In part 3 of his series, Fred Steiner offers an account from “The History of Hardin County, Ohio,” published by Warner, Beers and Co., in 1883. 

By Fred Steiner
www.BlufftonForever.com

Most remarkable of all mounds in Ohio
The most remarkable of all mounds in the State was one in Hardin County, in which were found about three hundred skeletons. A doubt has, however, been expressed that these were all Mound Builders skeletons.

Questions about a Native American “skirmish” in Richland Township

By Fred Steiner
www.BlufftonForever.com

Second in a series of articles pertaining to indigenous people of Allen, Hancock, Hardin and Putnam counties. Click here to read Fred Steiner's first column in this series.

Introduction
The plight of native Americans, in many ways ethnic cleansing, expelled from our part of the state in the 1830s, is one of our most tragic stories.

The only first-hand accounts from the Bluffton News of Europeans and native Americans tell mostly tell of settlers encountering graves. The stories raise questions including:

• What did the early European settlers do with the remains discovered in their fields?

A Shawnee Indian walked from Oklahoma to Bluffton

To see the land where he once camped

By Fred Steiner
www.BlufftonForever.com

First of a series of articles pertaining to indigenous people of the Allen, Hancock, Hardin and Putnam counties. 

From a 1928 Bluffton News, history of the community–While Michael Neuenschwander, the first Swiss settler to this community, constructed a temporary hut as his family dwelling a party of Indians came through and stopped.  

Bicycle mania strikes Bluffton in the 1890s

By Fred Steiner
www.BlufftonForever.com

Harry Fenton fell off his bicycle Sunday, and dislocated his thumb and little finger and seriously injured the middle finger of his left hand. – 1896 Bluffton News 

This story may not make news today, but 126 years ago, it was a worthy news item in the Bluffton News. 

Why? Because, in the mid-1890s Bluffton, like much of the nation, caught itself up in a two-word phrase: bicycle mania. 

Schumacher Homestead Bank Barn entrance realignment

See attached video HERE.

When Bluffton Fall Festival visitors stop by the Schumacher Homestead at 8350 Bixel Rd., they'll find a big project underway. Some eight tons of flagstone and huge retaining blocks are being used to recreate an east-facing bank, which was original to the barn.

The project began with creating a new opening and building the two large doors on the east gable end of the barn.

Recently the foundation and flagstone walls of the southeast corner were rebuilt by head mason Ron Keller using flagstone donated by Mike Gerken of the Bluffton Stone Company. The concrete floor inside the barn was broken up and replaced with stone. The debris is filling the new bank.

Pages