You are here

One century plus 12 years ago

By Fred Steiner
www.BlufftonForever.com

Question: When did Bluffton High School first offer a girls’ basketball team?
Answer: We aren’t certain, but we are getting closer to the answer.

We’ve pushed it back to 1911, thanks to a photo in the collection of Rose Harvey, whose grandmother, Clara Fett Andrews, was on the team.

Here’s the sophomore girls’ basketball team from that year. We know this because the basketball reads “Soph – 1911.”

And, 1911 was the first year that Bluffton had its own high school building. Prior to that all 12 grades were housed in one building on Jackson Street.

This team played games either in the 1911 BHS building, where the gym eventually became the band room. Or, they played games in a building behind The Food Store which was also a roller rink. We know that boys teams played in both locations.

We officially know two members of this team. Clara Fett Andrews and Agnes Amstutz. 

Based upon a class photo taken when this class were juniors, we’ve projected the other players.  Click here to view that class photo.

If we are correct, the top row from left includes: Bertha Thompson Weaver, Leah Stough Steiner and Clara Fett Andrews.

For photos and the rest of this story click HERE.

Stories Posted This Week